Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Woes of Cupcakes and Blogging.

Dear friends, I am a terrible blogger.  My biggest problem is that I am terribly inconsistent.  How am I supposed to have a following if I don't blog?!  Anyhow, I've admitted to myself that yes, I'm a terrible blogger, and now I must prepare myself to remedy that.  I have a few things up my sleeve--one being a book of recipes hand-written by my mother-in-law's mother.  I hope to type these up and print them in book form for the family.  And I may need some help interpreting some of the handwriting!  I'm also exploring eating well on a budget.  Those who know me are always telling me how horribly cheap I am.  It's my Scottish blood--we hate to part with our hard-earned money.  As I work through these two personal goals of mine, I look forward to sharing the journal on this blog, as well as taking whatever feed back you, the readers, have to offer.  So ... here goes!

White chocolate raspberry cupcakes


First let me catch you up on my challenge for this past weekend.  I baked, from scratch, a double batch of white chocolate raspberry cupcakes from bigoven.com to take to a barbeque.  While most people told me they thought they were really good, I wasn't very happy with them myself.  In fact, I sort of thought of them as a failure--something I wasn't really excited to eat myself.  The cake was a little dry, and the cream-cheese frosting was too cream-cheesy.  I did add extra raspberry extract to the frosting and a splash of red food coloring, but other than that, I followed this four-star recipe to the T.  Some of this could be my personal taste, but I love just about anything baked, especially if it has sugar in it, and even more so if it has chocolate in it.  Okay, so white chocolate is a bit on the borderline for that one.  But still.  And everyone was drinking.  Really, lots of things are really good when you've had a few, so maybe they weren't all that good. 

Let me back up a little.   I never know how to store cupcakes or muffins.  I'm really an eat-it-right-out-of-the-oven kind of girl.  I don't even need a plate.  The problem with this theory, is that it doesn't work when you have to transport food designated for consumption at a later date.  So how do you store cupcakes or muffins?  It was suggested to me that sealing them in Tupperware was the culprit.  Betty Crocker suggests loosely covering them with tin-foil or plastic wrap.  StillTasty.com thinks that outside of the refrigerator, they should be sealed in an airtight container.  Hmm.  And someone on Yahoo Answers recommends a glass container.  I think next time I'll try the tin-foil or plastic wrap and go from there.

I also was very excited to share my inexpensive steak and potato dinner from last night, but I excitedly ate it all before taking a photo!  Will try again next time :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment