Monday, February 28, 2011

Sweet & Sour Chicken

This Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe was one that my mom made numerous times when I was growing up.  It was a meal that even after I moved out I would come home and ask her to make.  I asked for the recipe years later, yet never attempted it.  My mom passed away last year and I went digging for this recipe, determined to do it justice, however a little skeptical, since her notes were not quite exact.  In fact, I don't think my mom ever used a measuring spoon.

Sweet & Sour Chicken


Sara and I dove into this recipe tonight, but some of the measurement are pure guesswork.  It turned out good, and the flavor was almost there, but the consistency was off.  It was definitely edible--my husband had seconds!

Since my "recipe" was mom's simple notes, this is the card we wrote up tonight. 

Sweet & Sour Chicken
Sweet & Sour Chicken

The directions are pretty much exactly what we did, with the exception of thinking there wasn't enough cornstarch, so we added a bit more toward the end.  We also initially used only a large tablespoon of Ketchup, but realized later that it wasn't nearly enough.   The sauce my mom wound up with was always darker red and much thicker--much  more like something out of a jar, or from a Chinese takeout joint.  Whilst eating our creation, we decided it must be the amount of ketchup--it must be increased!  We purposely included a quarter cup instead of a tablespoon on the recipe card so we would try it again that way next time.  I'll be sure to follow up when we do!

So here they are, the inevitable FIVE QUESTIONS:

1.  How did it taste on a scale of 1 to 5?
I'm calling it a four.  The first taste reminded me of mom in the best way, but it was much more bland than her version.

2.  How difficult was it to make, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most difficult?

Super Easy.  1 

3.  What was the price range to make it?

Super affordable.  Most of these things are regular on-hand items in my kitchen.  I had to spring for the chicken and veggies, which can ultimately be varied according to what's in season. 

4.  Would you make this again?

I definitely intend to!  I gotta get it right somehow, right?

5.  What would you do differently next time?

White vinegar.  I was out an only had rice vinegar.  And add more ketchup to the sauce when I mix it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment